Friday, February 19, 2016

day three and four: from the hills, to the valley, and into the desert

Yesterday we went hiking in the Santa Monica National Park, it was nice to see some of the natural beauty outside the bustling cities of Southern California. After a nice jaunt, I headed over to UCLA for the first presentation of the political tour component of this trip. And then today, did another workshop at UC Irvine. They both went pretty well and the students seemed engaged. I feel relieved to have gotten through the first couple events and have the next week or two to relax and focus my energy in other places.

Also, today, I woke up with my period! What a way to start the trip. I struggle with chronic dysmenorrhea (a fancy word for menstrual pain) so periods are usually a time where I cannot do much more than curl up and toss and turn in bed. It was hard to get myself to a place where I could get done what needed to happen today but pain killers and magical herbs from my dear friend Carleigh helped a lot. Now we are relaxing at a weird little motel in Joshua Tree. I was bummed to not get into a campground, but perhaps it is all for the best so we can have a comfortable cozy night's sleep. I feel hopeful that I will have more energy and less pain tomorrow.

Till soon,

Eli

No comments:

Post a Comment