Friday, February 19, 2016

onward to the desert

Good evening from the Joshua Tree Inn! Eli and I expected to be camping in Joshua Tree National Park tonight, but got here a little later than expected after leaving UC Irvine, so now we are kicking back in "the home of the ghost of Gram Parsons" and I am reveling in my not-so-secret love of kitch. Anyway, there are still lots of stars and even a couple of joshua trees, so I am happy.


L.A. was fun and we had the pleasure of hanging with many sweet people, but honestly the city kind of overwhelms me, and definitely tests my intention for keeping road rage at bay. Eli's Aunt Fran took us on a jaunt around Venice Beach where she managed to make friends with every vendor there and I managed to walk away with a pair of very cute sunglasses and a belly full of Salt n' Straw ice cream.

In hanging out with some friends, I kicked off my personal project of the roadtrip: I'm doing short interviews with friends and other people I meet on the road on the subject of home. I hope people won't feel limited to talking about a geographic home or home of origin, but rather the many forms home may take. The biggest questions I'm asking are: in what ways do you seek home, and in what ways have you found it? My hope is ultimately to create a podcast and/or zine to share this collection of thoughts and feelings.

Tomorrow morning we will wake up early to stake out outside the Joshua Tree park entrance and hopefully score a camping site for the night. In any case, I am doing my best to let my gemini rising sign take the lead (those who know me best know my inner virgo is dominant, to say the least) and be excited for the many twists and turns our journey takes. In this case, it's safe to say excitment and gratitude are definitely my most prevalent experiences of the last few days! 

xoxo freddie

ps - in honor of Mr. Parsons... (don't worry, we are staying in room #4). Apparently he doesn't get credit for being the true writer of the song the Rolling Stones made famous: 


1 comment:

  1. Your dad lived nearby, in Lancaster, for a couple of years, back when Gram was still making music. Austerely lovely place.

    ReplyDelete